So the list continues with many more things that erk new moms. Please keep in mind, that we know you are trying to instill words of wisdom on us, but as tired as we are, we don’t need the extra “help.”
Keep in mind these are real statements from real mom’s.. including their comments!
**please note that children’s names have been omitted and replaced with X, for privacy sake** Many thanks to the moms on BBC!
11. “awww…another boy the next one will be a girl”, please I could have 8 boys and people will still say the next one will be a girl what do I look like a baby making factory I’m done and happy with 3 beautiful healthy boys we are so blessed
12 “It’s a baaaabbbby” No, it’s a giraffe.
13. “Someone’s sucking her fingers – she MUST be hungry.” – Shut up you moron I just fed her like 1/2 hour ago. I think I, being her mother, would know when she is hungry thank you very much.
14. “Does he sleep through the night yet” – I got people asking this when he was a week old!! No he doesn’t sleep through the night, he’s a week old!
15. “She’s too cold/hot” – I’ve been dressing her for a while now I know when she’s comfortable.
16. “He must be gassy” or “Does he need to burp?” – This happens when he’s fussy in public. Ugh, my baby is tired or overstimulated and needs to sleep, sitting him up or patting him on the back repeatedly will not help!
17. “He looks just like (insert husbands name here)” after hearing this constantly with (first DD)…it drives me crazy…DS and DD look nothing alike, how can they both look like DH…isn’t there some of me in there somewhere???? LOL
18. “Ohhh, he’s still not pooping??? Maybe you should take him to the doctor” Nooooo, really?? Why didn’t I think of that before? WTF is wrong with people??? I’ve already taken him to 4 different doctors!!!!
19. “Oh you think ______ is hard/bad/difficult now… wait until she’s_____ old! ( or is sick or is going through what my kid is going through”) I have one in law who does this ALL the time. Every time she asks how its going and I say great, ok or that I am tired. she makes the comment that’s the same as, “You think you have it rough, you should see my baby/teenager etc!” Ugh. Give ME A BREAK!
20. ” Oh, she’s so cute, I don’t mean to offend you, but I always wanted (or asked my parents) to adopt an Asian baby” – If you think it will likely offend an Asian lady, don’t say it!
Unless you have something supportive to say, don’t say it! We are tired enough and stressed enough as it is, we appreciate that you may have done this child raising thing 2,10,20, 50 years ago, but let us figure it out ok?–WOW I don’t sound bitter at all hey?